Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Tsukushi

It is Wednesday and I am out of here in a few minutes.


The farmers are starting to flood their rice fields and the scenery has changed from dry soil to being surrounded by "lakes"  So beautiful in the mornings.


These unobtrusive little sprigs are call tsukushi.  They herald in the coming of spring.  I noticed I was stepping on them when Tetsu and I had our picnic the other day.

I remember a whole lesson in my children's first grade text book devoted to how a tsukushi feels pushing up through the cold soil into the spring sunlight.  Japanese children are taught to appreciate nature very young.  (There was another lesson on a weed bulb digging itself out of a snowbound field.)

Tsukushi are also edible but they are not on my menu this year...


No comments:

Post a Comment