Although I have been plodding away on my Pine Burr blocks, I think I'll make one more before I show my progress. (I've set myself a monthly quota.) And I'm slowly making one triangle strip after another... 80 some more to go...
My Tuesday English class, which consists of two friends, did a bit of "fabric art". These are the friends who were trying knitting too, with English instructions. I know that these ladies would almost rather be making something than studying English, so Tuesday I suddenly brought out paper and fabric and iron and scissors and told them to draw a flower. (I figured I needed to provide some structure.)
My friends were caught a bit off guard... Why are we drawing flowers?
And then I had them trace their flowers onto transfer paper... and then I brought out my basket of scraps.
"Find some fabric, cut out your transferred patterns, cut them out and then iron them on."
I provided background fabric and batting and backing scraps. Within an hour my two friends had put together a mini-flower quilt. They were very interested in the transfer technique as they hadn't known there was such materials available. And I made them free-motion quilt it themselves! They did a great job what with never seeing a free-motion quilting foot before!
Mrs. Okusa put borders on her mini-quilt. Mrs. Ide took her mini-quilt home to expand with her own ideas.
And this week...
Two pretty spring creations! Mrs. Okusa has a pretty decoration for a small wall space, Mrs. Ide turned her little piece into a springy tote bag!
I think the worked very well. What wonders my friends could make if I just gave them a little more warning next time!