I finished the Girls' Day quilt. I wonder if one can call this a quilt. It is a small tapestry only about 12 inches tall and 20 inches wide.
I used foundation papers and starch to make all the pieces first and then hand appliqued them to the background. The fan shape with the flowers was a little difficult to put together because I just turned under the edges and didn't use binding. The hand quilting is freehand.
This is not a particularly original quilt; the pattern was in one of the Patchwork Japan magazines that I've had around for years. Hopefully I will be able to just take the foundation paper pieces to my friend and let her use the same ones instead of making a whole set again. (I started this quilt as a sample in the first place.) And if I get really ambitious I'd like to see how I could arrange this quilt using the collage process and tulle rather than applique.
But I have other things I need to get done so for now I am finished with the Girls' Day quilt!