Monday, May 27, 2013

Azaleas

Today's post is outside my normal range of interests but I wandered through an azalea exhibition yesterday on my way out of the pool facilities.  My area of Japan is having all sorts of azalea festivals this week.


There is a whole art involved with raising azaleas.  Since the bush in my yard blooms haphazardly and doesn't look particularly beautiful, I don't have a lot of respect for azaleas but obviously I've been missing the flora world of possibilities...


There were hundreds of azalea "trees" at this exhibition, all pruned and encouraged to grow in many different containers and directions.  I suppose this is considered a type of bonsai... miniature tree manipulation.  Such a burst of color!  And all the potted azaleas looked regal in their honored places positioned on polished wooden diases.


Look at the roots on that one!  How did someone get that thing to grow?


This was my favorite.  I was drawn to the asymmetry and balance. 

Was I inspired to go out and prune my azalea bushes?  Nah...  I'm not much of a gardener.  I'm going back to my sewing.

No comments:

Post a Comment