Thursday, March 7, 2013

Eighty

80 times.  That's how many times I went to the pool this past year.  I'm not sure if that is good or bad. 

Last March I paid my yearly fees which allowed me to use the pool and sauna and jacuzzi and bathing facilities as much as I liked.  (But I don't use the sauna and jacuzzi.)  Every time I went past the reception desk the girls would hand me a receipt (I have no idea why) when I showed them my card.  I stuffed the receipts in my pool bag pocket and there they have accumulated, becoming damp and soggy.


Yesterday was the last day of my year long membership.  And I have just pulled out all the damp receipts and counted them.  80 little slips of paper.  80 half hour sessions swimming back and forth in the pool.  That averages out to about 1.5 times a week, maybe a bit more because I spent one month in the States and took time off each time I came down with a cold.

Is it worth the membership fee to join again?  I could pay $5 a time just to use the pool without becoming a full-fledged member.  But knowing myself well, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't go if I have to fork out money each time.  I can make all sorts of excuses not to do exercise.  I don't really like swimming very much.  I don't feel healthier and I'm definitely not skinnier after my 80 lap sessions.  But I suppose at my age just DOING it is keeping my body from declining at any faster rate...  I think I need a pep talk.

Sigh...  I guess the next time I'm in the pool neighborhood I'll plunk down another year's membership fee and spend another year swimming laps...

Back and forth...
Back and forth...
Back and forth.....

No comments:

Post a Comment