Yesterday I had a big chunk of time to do some serious quilting. On what? Ah... that is the question. I don't feel confident enough to put my McKenna Ryan's Christmas quilt under the needle. I needed a practice piece.
You may remember last Saturday I showed a close-up of the cute little fox in the McKenna quilt kit. Hmmm. I have the patterns... I DID make that little fox, but McKenna's kits are all pre-cut. (Thank goodness!) All those tiny little pieces are laser cut and just a snip is needed to remove the piece from the bit of fabric. And McKenna's pre-cut pieces all have fused backing, another life-saver.
But there I sat, looking at the McKenna pattern...
"Now... If I just trace the tiny pattern onto fusible paper... (remembering to flip the pattern over... whoops forgot that the first time and had some backwards pieces). And if I fuse the patterns to different scraps of fabric... And if I use tiny embroidery scissors to cut out the pieces... I SHOULD be able to put together another fox. Yeah! I did it!"
I tried another fox.
"Oh good! I can make foxes now if I have McKenna's patterns."
I continued on with the tree pattern. Though wiggly they weren't too hard and by the end I was cutting trees without even using a pattern. (Just wiggle the scissors a bit...)
Great. Two foxes and some trees on a couple "hills". Can I do more?
Umm... I'm no McKenna but I designed two more baby foxes. That is what they are trying to be. Maybe they look like wolves. I could have taken more time for fabric choice. Oh well... I am trying to make a practice piece for QUILTING.
I fused my fox family down and was ready to put the whole thing under the needle. Instead of basting I used spray bond, just great for a small piece like this.
I used Madeira Monofiliment 60# thread for the top. (I could only get it in one color.) Mrs. Furui and I tried to buy some recommended Sulky Monofiliment thread but having it sent from wherever was $24 shipping. I don't think so. We are experimenting with the Madeira thread instead. It seems to work fine.
It took a bit of tension adjustment to keep the white bobbin thread from pulling to the top so a couple of my dark trees have white dots along the sewing line. I think I've got that problem figured out.
I was pretty cautious as I started quilting the fox so I barely moved along at all. As I gained confidence my stitches became a bit more even. The eyes that I had worried about weren't that hard after all. That monofiliment thread just takes you anywhere so I just stitched up the noses.
My sky could have been a bit more artistic but I'm ready to start quilting the REAL McKenna kit now! Wish me luck!