Thursday, October 11, 2012

Quilting the "Fire"

I have been quilting on the Fiery Starr quilt when I get a chance to go up to the sewing room.  Let's see... I have 48 squares that will need to be quilted...  I think I have 14 done.  This is going to be a L~O~N~G~~~  process...


Yesterday (and today) I find Chip upstairs holding my quilt down.  Is this just a warm place for her to sit in the mornings or is she expecting me to sit down to some quilting?


The flower quilting is going along smoothly...

The wedge-shaped areas are giving me a challenge.  I'm back to feathers but I wanted the spine of the feathers to go in a different direction so I ripped out my first try and now am happy with the placement.  But MAKING those feathers are a dilly.  It goes without saying that when I think I will make a certain shaped feather, that my hands don't go the way I want.  I THOUGHT I was going to get 9 feathers to a wedge but some of my wedges have 8 feathers, some have 10.  THIS SHOULDN'T BE THIS HARD!


And do you realize that there are 4 directions that I can quilt a wedge?  I can start from the small triangle at the BOTTOM and work up with the feather pointing towards me...


Or I can start from the small triangle at the TOP and work down with the feather pointing away from me....

Or... I can start from the wide part of the wedge at the TOP and work up with the feathers pointing away from me... or I can start from the wide part of the wedge at the BOTTOM and work up with the feathers pointing towards me.  (That DIDN'T work out so well, so no pictures of those two attempts.)

There is probably a correct way to do this...  But as far as I've gotten, I get less confused if I start at the small end of the wedge and work either down or up...  ARGHH!!! 


And I am afraid to stop when I get started because I get in a rhythm... but the next time I sit down I'm lost all over again...


No comments:

Post a Comment