Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Bye!

Leiya flew off from California to Ohio yesterday afternoon. A whirlwind of packing and trying to jam everything into a large suitcase and two carry-ons. Of course most of her luggage was stuff that Tetsu and I had brought over from Japan. Tetsu bought her snacks and pens and notebooks and socks etc. I had packed a whole suitcase of obis hoping that she can use them for fundraising at the college's World Student Association where she is vice president. Leiya's own purchases this year in California amounted to a couple of dresses and a LOT of fabric. (Good girl, Leiya!)

I repeat to myself what my mother has always said to me since I've lived in Japan.

"We live in a wonderful world of communication these days. In past generations if a person crossed a continent or an ocean their family would never see them again but we have the telephone and airplanes (and e-mail and Skype)."

The one thing cyber space hasn't invented yet is a way for us to give those special hugs filled with warmth and softness and love.

Love you lots and lots and lots, Leiya. Hug you again next summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment