Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Did you know...

Wednesday, so I'm off and away.

Monday when my friends and I were trying out sewing machines, one friend (who knows almost nothing about sewing machines) said, even before she sat down at the machine.

"I don't think I want to buy the Janome."

"You haven't tried it yet. Why not?"

"I don't like the name."

The name? Oh! The name!

Did you know that Janome means "snake eyes" in English?!

Yes, it does. I checked on-line and find that because Janome was leading in sewing machine technology they were one of the first to use a round bobbin rather than a shuttle, and because the bobbin looked like a snake's eye, that's what they named their company.

I too can think of other names I'd prefer... though it doesn't seem to bother most sewers. Janome machines are the top sellers in Japan.

It's just as well that my friends bought Brother sewing machines. A little brotherly love goes a long way.

No comments:

Post a Comment