Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Thoughts and doings

The days seem long and short at the same time. I'm not doing much but thinking a lot. It seems like the situation changes every 10 minutes. Right now the earthquakes are the least of our problems and instead we have to concern ourselves with radiation and nuclear explosions...sigh.

Two days ago I was wondering if we had enough food and gasoline to hold us through the period of Japan putting itself together.

"Tanya, you need to save gasoline. Drive as little as possible."

Okay... Yesterday I walked to crosswalk duty and back. Wow, I am going to go back to basics and walk everywhere. Choco will be so happy to have me home a lot and she and I will use the blackout times to walk around."

Not so. An hour or so later the news announces that the nuclear plant has exploded. Sorry to say that that nuclear plant is closer to me than the earthquake epicenter was. And throughout the day the news reports radiation levels in the area of the plant and even where I live. So I had people calling me and e-mailing me from other parts of Japan asking if I was alright, or going to be alright. The answer to that is yes for the present. But of course the news is bad again this morning. This morning I drove to the crosswalk again.

So, after yesterday's news, instead of giving Choco long walks I went out and brought her inside the house and put her in the kennel. The TV reports that we should stay indoors, close the windows, bring in the laundry, avoid using the air conditioning/heater which draws in air from outside. Oh great. And for awhile we were being told to leave an escape route open (doors and windows) and go outside into clear areas if another earthquake occurs. Today's instructions on how to protect yourself also includes wearing a mask (have to eat my words I guess about my dislike of masks) and a hat and gloves at all times. It is a good thing we are in winter.



So what DID I do yesterday? I called the electric store to see if they can come and right my antenna. They will put us on their list. I made apple sauce. It seemed like a comforting food. I washed our bathtub out well and filled it with water in case our water lines go. I brought out the kotatsu (blanketed table heater) and have set up a central area in the living room by moving furniture a bit. The cats think an earthquake is great, they get a cozy heated sleeping area.

Neighborhood English went on as normal yesterday in the evening. Parents called asking and I said I was here and if the kids wanted to come then we could go about as normal as long as there was no blackout. So I had three little girls come for English (around the kotatsu). Ladies classes were cancelled though because this is quite a distance for people to come and they have their minds on other things. I'm supposed to go to the kindergarten graduation this morning but I'm skipping that. I don't think the children or parents will miss me. The reason again being gasoline shortages. English with friends in Utsunomiya is cancelled again because they are worried about my gasoline supply and because all their husbands are at home. The Honda Corporation has a big factory in Utsunomiya and it was badly damaged so Honda personnel have nowhere to go, thus they are all at home.

My thoughts...

Tetsu's says I'm freaking out. Rats. And I thought I was doing so well. On the one hand he thinks that Japan is breaking apart literally and economically, on the other hand he thinks we only need to worry about the present. If you don't want to go outside then don't. If you do, then do. If you want to use your gasoline go ahead, if you don't want to then lay low. It doesn't really make a difference. Food and gasoline may or may not come. That goes for the radiation too. It may or may not reach us and besides that's a pretty selfish way to think when people closer don't have the option of protecting themselves from it. Tetsu is a firm believer in doing what you can where you are and just because you COULD run away or buy up more food etc, is no reason to leave your friends and others who have kept you well and happy for so many years, in a lurch.

I finished quilting. What should I name this?

God is our refuge and strength,
A very present help in trouble.
Therefore we will not fear, though the earth should change,
And the mountains slip into the heart of the sea;
Though its waters roar and foam,
Though the mountains quake at its swelling pride.

The Lord of hosts is with us;
The God of Jacob is our stronghold.

Cease striving and know that I am God.

Psalm 46:1-3,7,10

No comments:

Post a Comment