Friday, March 18, 2011

Out and about

Good morning!

Already a week has past since the earthquake. And I am happy to report that around here at least, things are slowly getting back to normal.

The clock in my Japanese room has been stopped at the time of the earthquake. The time was really 2:46 but this clock was always running fast. The battery fell out and we haven't been using the Japanese room much this week (English lessons in the kotatsu) but I put a new one in this morning.

This clock however suffered fatal injuries. My poor sewing room clock! It didn't live long in my house but it brightened the room while it did. I hope someday I find another one just like it.


Yesterday's graduation was very moving. There was one large tremor during the ceremonies and the teachers got ready to evacuate the gym but all went to completion. (Sorry about the quality of that video, I tried hard to be unobtrusive with my digital camera... Shooting against the light).

In the afternoon my neighbor called and asked if I wanted a ride to the supermarket... She has two cars filled with gas and she needed to get some things. I jumped at the chance just to get out of the house and see what is going on in the outside world. And I was so happy to find that not that much has changed in this area. The stores are busy, though only one of the two automatic doors was in operation (saving electricity). Lots and lots of fruits and vegetables and meat and fish. Milk and eggs and bread and instant product shelves were empty but the snacky aisles were well stocked. It was actually JOYFUL to wander around the store and see that there was a wonderful supply of rice, cheese, sweets, sausages and cat food. I bought tofu (that doesn't last long) and some vegetables.

Some of you wondered why the evacuation centers are handing out rice balls instead of meat, fish and vegetables. Well, for one just salted rice balls are a lot easier to make if you don't have energy. And no supplies can get into the evacuation areas yet either (though that should change from today or tomorrow), so they are living off what the self defense force has had (rice keeps if kept dry).

Another question was about if there is anything quilters can do. I really don't know. I have heard that the editor of a major quilt magazine is asking for comfort quilts but I haven't confirmed that information. I'm afraid I don't have a way to get quilts to people myself but I'll try to research that.

And I was directed to an interesting and entertaining video explaining what has happened in Fukushima for children. You might find this a cheering spot in the media world... The video is in Japanese but it has English subtitles.

No comments:

Post a Comment