Friday, October 1, 2010

My friends' finishes

My friends, Rumi-san and Mrs. Nakazawa came over for some show-and-tell time with their coffee cup quilts. Last week each had come over separately to put on binding and they had homework to hand sew the binding down. Yeah!!! Two finishes for my friends!

Rumi-san is already working on a new coffee cup quilt for her daughter... Or maybe her daughter is going to get this one and she is making a new one for herself. She had a lot of fun choosing red fabrics and recently has started haunting fabric stores to pick out choice fat quarters. I am happy to report that she says she finds quilting "relaxing."

Mrs. Nakazawa had a specific place in her house that she wanted to display her quilt. She has a wall over her kitchen counter and so she put her coffee cups on a long "shelf" . She also included a cat sitting there among the cups as she is a confirmed cat lover. (I go to Mrs. Nakazawa with my cat woes.) Mrs. Nakazawa has declared that she will put a cat in every quilt that she makes from now on! Look forward to seeing more cats!

And in the evening I had some chatting time with an English student from WAY back. She used to come to me for English when she was in jr. high and now she is in her late 20s. I hadn't seen her for at least 14 years! She said she fondly remember baking cookies and doing some small handwork (not so many memories about English) and we sewed "cute but useless" cats while we chatted. She may be back for more handwork... not so sure about English...

(By the way, that is not a cat behind the first one. That one is trying to be a Totoro! One of the famous Japanese animator, Hayao Miyazawa's characters.)

No comments:

Post a Comment