Thursday, June 3, 2010

Boo

I don't believe in ghosts. Wait a minute... If it is Biblical then I'll consider it and I suppose spirits are mentioned in the Bible but as long as Jesus is with me I'm not wasting my time worrying about them.

When I was a child I liked reading ghost stories (especially in front of a lit fireplace) but I don't think I ever really believed they were out to "get" me. However MANY of my Japanese friends, from all walks of life and all ages, will worry about evil spirits and curses etc. In a normal, intelligent conversation colleagues or friends will mention the "things that go bump in the night" and how it is proof that the spirits are waiting to catch someone unexpectedly. It is hard to join in the conversations without pooh-poohing my friends' beliefs but I'd prefer not to listen to their half/fears-half/joking.

The sounds made in an empty room are accounted to ghosts. The string of divorces in our neighborhood is blamed on evil spirits. The sickness in a family is caused by the tree spirits getting angry at a felled tree. There are auras and unexplained falling pictures and orbs of light reflected in photos. People wear amulets and throw salt around and TV programs regularly feature mediums and fortune tellers. Weddings and celebrations are planned around lucky days in the calendar. I remember when I was pregnant, a doctor told me I should have some treatment on a certain day because the calendar guaranteed it was fortuitous. THIS is medical advice?! Sometimes it is difficult to tell what is cultural and what is superstition.

I'm rather happy I'm hidden in the shadow of His wings and don't have to worry about ghosts. There are enough things that confuse me already.

No comments:

Post a Comment