Saturday, December 19, 2009

Hickory Dickory Dock

A quick run to the kindergarten yesterday for the Christmas program practice. Last week the principal had to cancel kindergarten for three days because so many kids were out with influenza. Yesterday there was still one class with only half the attendance. And the kindergarten program that was scheduled for yesterday had to be pushed back until the 23rd in hopes that all the kids will be over the flu by then.

I teach four classes at the kindergarten but the oldest class puts on a pageant so they don't have time to start learning English songs etc. That leaves three other classes.

The four year olds are going to sing "If I Were a Butterfly while I play the guitar. They are going to be great!

The three year old class with do an old standby "Teddy Bear, Teddy Bear" which may be interesting because some of the kids are so shy they hide behind the teachers.

And finally there is the just-turned-three year old class. Some of these kids hardly speak Japanese let alone start on English! But children that age can do about anything and still be the stars of the show and so this year they are mice and I am a clock. I will sing "Hickory, Dickory Dock" alone and call out the time and the mice "...run up the clock". With the BONG! BONG! the kids scream and run back to their place (hopefully). The teachers made some great mice caps!

I feel pretty silly but I guess the parents are going to be looking at their kids, not at me.

No comments:

Post a Comment